American Civil Liberties Union Retiring is Howard Simon as the executive director of ACLU Florida. Simpson has served as the executive director for 21 years and will retire following this November’s elections.
Broward College The College’s board of trustees unanimously picked general counsel Gregory Haile to replace outgoing President David Armstrong, who will retire on June 30th. Haile has been at the College since 2011.
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Board of Governors Appointed was Marc W. Dunbar, Tallahassee, a partner in the Jones Walker firm’s government relations practice group.
Department of Juvenile Justice Appointed chief of staff by Secretary Christina Daly was Heather DiGiacomo. She previously worked for the Department of Juvenile Justice Association and the Florida Association of Counties.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission Governor Scott, Senate President Negron and House Speaker Corcoran made appointments to this newly formed commission, which will be housed within the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri will serve as chair and Miami Shores Police Chief Kevin Lystad will serve as vice chair of the Commission.
Governor Scott Appointees:
- Sheriff Larry Ashley, Okaloosa County Sheriff
- Superintendent Desmond Blackburn, Ph.D., Superintendent of Brevard Public Schools
- Chief Kevin Lystad, Chief of the Miami Shores Police Department and president of the Florida Police Chiefs Association
- Ryan Petty, the father of Aliana Petty, who was murdered at MSD High
- Andrew Pollack, the father of Meadow Pollack, who was murdered at MSD High
President Negron appointees:
- State Senator Lauren Book, M.S. Ed, state senator and child advocate
- Douglas Dodd, Citrus County School Board member and former captain with the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office
- James Harpring, undersheriff for Indian River County and general counsel to the Sheriff’s Department
- Melissa Larkin-Skinner, MA, LMHC, Chief Executive Officer at Centerstone Florida
- Marsha Powers, Martin County School Board member
House Speaker Corcoran appointees:
- Max Schachter, the father of Alex Schacter, who was murdered at MSD High
- Sheriff Grady Judd, Polk County Sheriff
- Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, Pinellas County Sheriff and a member of the board of directors for the Florida Sheriff’s Association, the Major County Sheriff’s Association and the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Suncoast
- Chief Assistant State Attorney Bruce Bartlett
- Chief Chris Nelson, Chief of Police, City of Auburndale
In addition, Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Rick Swearingen will serve as a member of the commission, and the following members shall serve as ex-officio members:
- Florida Department of Education Commissioner Pam Stewart
- Florida Department of Children and Families Secretary Mike Carroll
- Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Christina Daly
- Florida Agency for Health Care Administration Secretary Justin Senior