Florida Supreme Court Justice Charles T. Canady has been elected chief justice of the Florida Supreme Court. Canady will replace current Chief Justice Jorge Labarga on July 1st. He will remain chief justice until June 30, 2020.
New York City Schools Alberto Carvalho, superintendent of Miami-Dade schools, is moving to York City to be the district’s new chancellor. Carvalho has spent 20 years in Miami’s schools, starting as a physics, chemistry and calculus teacher at Miami Jackson Senior High. He has served as superintendent since 2008.
University of Central Florida University of Central Florida’s Board of Trustees unanimously selected Provost Dale Whittaker to replace retiring John C. Hitt. Whittaker has served as provost since 2014, coming to Florida from Purdue University.
Senate approved appointments:
On the last day of session, the Senate unanimously approved the confirmation of nine heads of state agencies and water-management districts. Approved were:
- Erin Rock, secretary of the Department of Management Services;
- Jim Poppell, secretary of the Department of Lottery;
- Michael Dew, secretary of the Department of Transportation;
- Noah Valenstein, secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection;
- Phillip Sutton, executive director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission;
- Eric Larson, executive director of the Agency for State Technology;
- Jonathan Zachem, secretary of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation;
- Ernie Marks, executive director of the South Florida Water Management District; and
- Hugh Thomas, executive director of the Suwannee River Water Management District